General Introduction to Project
St Andrew's High School is a new build denominational secondary school designed for 1350 pupils, with an associated Community Education Centre, a Community Sports Centre, which is also used as the Physical Education Department for the school, and incorporating the Kirkshaws Safe Play Group. As part of an ambitious £150 million PPP project, North Lanarkshire Council has amalgamated two schools (Columba High School and St Patrick's High School), transferring the combined schools to this new build secondary school.
The site of St Andrew's is at Rosehall Park, to the south west of the centre of Coatbridge, and is currently also occupied by Rosehall High School, St Timothy's RC Primary, a Community Centre and an area of public park providing various sporting facilities.
Rosehall High will continue to operate on the site until a new non-denominational secondary school is completed in October 2008. There will therefore be two secondary schools operating adjacently between 2006 and 2008. The completion of groundworks and grass pitches for St Andrew's High School will be undertaken in 2009/2010 once Rosehall High School has moved to its new site.
This case study is included as an example of the excellent provision of facilities such as the sports centre, dance studio and grass and all-weather pitches which are being used extensively by pupils, staff and community groups on a daily basis. The pupils and staff of the school are delighted with the new facilities which are a real asset to the area and community as a whole.